At Unicycle, we welcome you for who you are, regardless of where you’re from, what you look like, or who you love. Our mission to make learning more empowering, more equitable, and more human for all begins with a diverse and inclusive ecosystem within.
We’re not chasing a small problem, and we’re not addressing a small market. By 2025, global digital expenditure in education will top $340 billion. But to combat the inertia of decades-old frameworks and emerge with truly impactful tools requires highly-skilled, creative problem-solvers with simultaneously uncapped and laser-focused vision.
As one of our earliest engineering hires, you will serve as both the architect and the bricklayer of a platform that aims to rewrite an entire industry. Building from the ground up, you’ll take Unicycle from concept to iterative prototype to marketable product. Along the way, you’ll inform product and business strategy, scope and oversee technical decisions, and manage development roadmaps and milestones.
Beyond your technical expertise, you are a confident team communicator and effective leader who won’t just set the foundation for how we scale, but also the foundation of our culture. And as we grow, your work, passion, and vision will attract a world-class team eager to build alongside you.
There's work, and then there's the work of your life. Should this inspire the mission-driven voice in the back of your head, please be in touch.
Who you are:
- You have experience building full stack products in production.
- You are proficient with Git and SQL (or other data querying language)
- You have a firm grasp of system design, data structures, and algorithms, and how to apply them to craft pragmatic solutions
- You are comfortable working with modern infrastructure and tools, and running your software in Linux environments
- You care about sound engineering practices like continuous delivery, defensive programming, and automated testing
- You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You are able to independently solve problems and you embody the “no task too small” mentality
- You are passionate about education and the future of learning
- You are committed to being involved in external engineering communities so you may constantly recruit and build your network
- Above all, you are a collaborative teammate who practices inclusivity, empathy, and human kindness
What you’ll do:
- Work directly with our CTO to design, develop, and deploy scalable backend systems from scratch with a focus on rapid iteration
- Work with UI / UX designers to refine user experience across web and mobile applications
- Build and operate infrastructure, toolset, and deployment pipelines
- See projects through from conception to launch
- Take operational responsibility for our services and applications, including taking part in an on-call rotation
- Continuously improve our product by contributing to innovation in our tech stack
- Maintain high standards in code integrity through documentation and automated tests
Interested in this role? Apply below, we look forward to getting to know you.